This page has moved to a new address.

HEALTHY BREAKFAST - OATMEAL

the 18th district: HEALTHY BREAKFAST - OATMEAL

Sunday, January 26, 2014

HEALTHY BREAKFAST - OATMEAL


Finally I found some time to write a highly requested post about my daily breakfast. 
Many girls on Instagram and via email ask me how I prepare my breakfast and how it benefits my healthy and clean eating lifestyle. 
You all, mainly the part of you guys, who have been following me for quite a while now, know that I study nutritional sciences and that I'm an absolute fitness and healthy food freak. 
If you already follow me on Instagram, where I also post my healthy meals, you might have noticed  that I never skip my breakfast, which definitely is the most important meal of the day.  
Many people don't have a breakfast at all, but as studies have shown breakfast should be the most important meal of the day, and guys, I can tell you, it really is. People give a variety for reasons for not eating breakfast, common reasons are that they are not hungry or have no time, they think they might gain weight and there are many other reasons. But what really happens if you skip your breakfast in the long run is, that you more likely tend to gain weight. Research studies tell us, that people who eat breakfast are more likely to maintain a healthy weight. 
Skipping breakfast is a common strategy by people who are trying to lose weight, but that definitely mostly isn't a successful strategy. When you skip breakfast you might feel so hungry by lunch time that you eat more foods than you normally would, which cancels out the calories which you cut by skipping breakfast.  ( heck out my post about healthy breakfast here, for more information)

What I would really like to talk about today, is my favorite kind of breakfast, my heavenly-tasting oatmeal. 
A few years ago, I would have rather chosen some unhealthy kind of muesli instead of choosing a more healthy breakfast, like oatmeal (what's called ''Haferschleim'' in German and I could have never imagined eating something that already sounds that disgusting ;)) or oats with yoghurt and fruits, 
Now it has become some kind of daily routine to prepare my oatmeal (especially in the colder month). 
So let's talk about the health benefits of oatmeal and why you should definitely give it a try.

Oatmeal contains insoluble fiber  (fiber is the portion of plant materials in the diet which humans cannot digest) which stays in the stomach longer and helps you feel fuller, longer. This can prevent overeating later on in the day, which may help you maintain a healthy weight and avoid the healthy problems associated with overweight. 
This fiber in oats also as many health benefits. Eating just a half cup of oatmeal a day is enough to reap the health benefits. 
One cup of oatmeal contains about 150 calories,  4 grams of fiber about  6 grams of protein. Oatmeal is also rich in, magnesium, zinc, phosphorus, manganese, selenium and iron. 

HOW TO PREPARE YOUR OATMEAL

*You can either prepare your oatmeal with water or any type of fat reduced milk ( I love to prepare mine with almond milk at the moment).
*You can prepare them the night before, just put them into water or milk and let them soak up the fluid over night and then warm then up in the morning
Ingredients for basic oatmeal: 
(I use about) 60g oatmeal 
200-250 ml milk 
For the topping:
fruits (fresh, dried or frozen) I mainly use berries, ananas, apple, kiwi or banana 
nuts 
Stevia to sweeten ( I use liquid Stevia and put in about 10 drops) 

Combine all ingredients and cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes. When it starts to bubble, stir occasionally. Add stevia and stir again. Put it in a bowl, add a topping of your choice and enjoy! 

Banana Oatmeal :
60g oatmeal 
200-250 ml water 
For the topping:
fruits (fresh, dried or frozen) I mainly use berries, ananas, apple, kiwi or banana 
nuts 
Stevia to sweeten ( I use liquid Stevia and put in about 10 drops) 

Combine all ingredients and cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes. When it starts to bubble, stir occasionally. Add stevia and stir again. Put it in a bowl, add a topping of your choice and enjoy!
Chocolate Protein Oatmeal:
60g oatmeal 
200-250 ml milk 
1 table spoon highly de-oild cacao powder (you can find it in the ''Reformhaus'' in Austria I use the fairtrade one)
1 eggwhite 
For the topping:
fruits (fresh, dried or frozen) I mainly use berries, ananas, apple, kiwi, figs or banana 
a few nuts or pure coco nut flakes 
Stevia to sweeten ( I use liquid Stevia and put in about 10 drops) 

Whisk the egg white until stiff. Combine the milk and oats and cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes. When it starts to bubble, stir in the cacao powder (preferably with an eggbeater) and stir occasionally until creamy. Remove it from the heat and quickly stir in the egg white. Add stevia and stir again. Put it in a bowl, add a topping of your choice and enjoy! 

Chocolate Oatmeal with Whey Protein:
60g oatmeal 
100ml milk 
150ml water
1scoop Chocolate Whey Protein (I use a Whey Protein Isolate)
For the topping:
fruits (fresh, dried or frozen) I mainly use berries, ananas, apple, kiwi, figs or banana 
a few nuts or pure coco nut flakes 
Stevia to sweeten ( I use liquid Stevia and put in about 10 drops) 

 Combine the milk, water and oats and cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes. When it starts to bubble. Remove it from the heat and quickly stir in the protein powder. Add stevia and stir again. Put it in a bowl, add a topping of your choice and enjoy! 

Be creative, you can add any type of flavor for your oatmeal. For example, stir in pure vanilla flavor, cinnamon powder, chai tea (just cook your chai tea bag with your oats), add matcha tea powder.
JUST BE CRATIVE! 

GUYS, I would love to see your oatmeal creations on Instagram! Just post your creation with the hashtag #oatmealinspiredbythe18thdistict and tag me! 
I can't wait to see your creations ! 



Thanks for reading! 
Share the love and follow me on : 












Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 26 January 2014 at 18:55 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for recipes :))

http://prettypurple92.weebly.com/

 
At 26 January 2014 at 23:27 , Blogger Svetlana said...

Lecker lecker :)
Die zwei letztens probiere ich Ć¼bermorgen und am Mittwoch bestimmt aus :)
Besonders das mit dem EiweiƟ interessiert mcih :)
Ich benutze das Benrstofer (oder so) kakao Pulver :)

Liebst
Svetlana von Lavender Star

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home